Fire safety legislation in the UK places emphasis on the self-management of fire safety in places of work. This course is designed to develop understanding of responsibilities, introduce key fire safety issues and develop knowledge of the fire risk assessment process.
The learning material has been designed to offer a concise and instructive overview of what fire risk assessment is all about with an opportunity to apply learning to a simulated tour of a premises at the end of the course.
Having completed this e-learning course, learners should be able to:
- Show awareness of common facts and figures about fire and its effects
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of how fire starts and spreads
- Demonstrate understanding of how human behavior can help or hinder safe evacuation
- Demonstrate a comprehensive awareness of the requirements of the legislation
- Identify the fire protection equipment/systems and procedures which may be used to reduce fire hazards
- Identify a comprehensive range of workplace hazards and make decisions on the likelihood of fire starting
- Explain what fire risk assessment is about and its importance as a management tool
The course also includes downloadable resources to help learners to apply their learning after they have completed the course.
The course covers:
- Fire facts and figures
- Fire science
- Fire legislation
- What is fire risk assessment?
- Assessing fire hazards
- Assessing human factors
- Assessing fire protection systems
- Practical exercise
The estimated duration of the course is two hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like, and there is no limit on how long you can take to do the course.
This course is suited to those with a responsibility for fire risk assessment in simple premises. Learners will be keen to gain knowledge and to develop confidence in carrying out their own risk assessment.
It is anticipated that learners will previously have completed an introductory fire safety awareness course.
On completion of this course you will be able to print a Fire Protection Association (FPA) certificate.